Thursday, July 05, 2007

earth, water and sky


Last night was fabulous! When Alex came home, he and the kids dropped me off at the garden and came back soon after with a picnic dinner for us to share. We all shared in eating, pulling weeds and planting the last of our garden. What an entirely wonderful way to spend an evening with the family. Selah spent most of her time in the sandbox that is up there. Up to her diaper in grit, she was as happy as a pig in slop.

As if all this wasn't already a perfect end to a productive summer day, I also went for a swim. Alex left the garden with the kids about 45 minutes before I did. I continued to pull weeds until my clothes, face and hands were covered in dark soil and green streaks. Sweaty, muddy and satisfied, I hopped into my friend Kathy's truck. She drove us up to Jim Smith lake which was colder than I thought it would be. We swam out to the centre of the lake and I was struck by how lucky I am to live in such a beautiful place. The sky was a fading blue by then, as the crisp, cool water rinsed the last bits of mud from my hair. I think I shall do it all over again soon. I just need to figure out how to add in a guitar to the mix....

No comments: