Saturday, January 05, 2008

*WARNING* snarky post ahead. optimists beware.

Let me paint you a picture of my morning. It's before six a.m. and I have been up since before three. Alex just left for Calgary with his boss and in about three hours I have start getting the kids ready for swimming lessons. I have little or no desire whatsoever to actually consider doing anything remotely productive in the next twenty-four hours.

So here I am bumbling around on the Internet because I can't sleep and neither can I stare at the ceiling any longer. Suddenly this page comes up with an oh-so-inspiring message. It says, "Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you'll die tomorrow." The thing is, this message is spray-painted on a crumbling wall in an alley somewhere. Thank-you teenage kid with the spray can. I just couldn't go through another day without your ageless wisdom.

I'm sorry, am I being a downer? It's just that the message is awesome in theory but sometimes the daily grind is the daily grind. Period. If I knew I was going to die tomorrow, I would not being doing the things I need to do today. Sometimes you just gotta grin and bear it. Sometimes you just don't get to have the warm fuzzies about your day. Besides, those peppy, always happy people are annoying. You know they are. Don't deny it.

Today, I will enjoy my children's swimming lessons. I will get to the end of today with a feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment. But, today, I do not the time or the energy to "live like I'll die tomorrow."

1 comment:

Mrs.Q said...

If I took that creed totally to heart, I would eat nothing but cheese and chocolate, drink nothing bur coffee or Strongbow...get nothing done at all, and probably significantly hasten that "die tomorrow" bit with all that chocolate and booze. And I'd always be wearing dirty underwear.