Monday, August 25, 2014

The ALS ice bucket challenge and other such facebooky things

I did the ice bucket challenge. I did it for the absolute lamest of reasons and I'm not even sorry. I did it because a young man I appreciate and respect challenged me to and that was good enough for me.

The world is full of need, of illness, of brokeness, of hurting, of dying. That is part of living on this planet. There is SO MUCH of it that it can be darn well overwhelming. To be invited to be a little silly, to play a game, to not take myself too seriously while still letting people know about one of the needs out there is worth a few minutes of my time, a bit of chill and the laundering of a towel.

If you know me, you know that I really believe, with every fiber of my being, that we are all capable of making the world a better place. We should do whatever we can, whenever we can and we should attempt to be thoughtful and deliberate about it. That being said, here are two articles that totally oppose one another in their basic premise. I agree with the intention behind both.

http://www.macleans.ca/society/health/why-the-ice-bucket-challenge-is-bad-for-you/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewherper/2014/08/19/think-the-ice-bucket-challenge-is-stupid-youre-wrong/

I would add that regardless of anyone's reasons behind participating in such things, a few great conversations have been started. One of the quickest ways I have found to stop progress in it's tracks is cynicism and judgement. If you are excited about being part of the global community and sharing in anything that might help someone else, do it and do it well and thoughtfully. If you are annoyed by the latest facebook (or other social platform) craze, relax, it will fade out eventually. If you really feel super burdened to share your opinion about the dangers of such crazes (there are dangers, I agree) try and do so in a way that doesn't diminish the human spirit in what is going on. If you are just joining in for attention... you know what? That's OK too! We all need to feel like we belong sometimes! The world isn't going to become a better place because you or I convinced someone to do or not do anything. It will become a better place because we try to be better in it, to share what we have, to be intentional how we use the resources of our time, our finances and our talents. It will become better because we try and understand eachother and our burdens more and judge a little less.

As for me, I'm doing the best I can with what I've got. I'm OK with that.

No comments: